Monday, June 25, 2018

lunes: too much to process

Dear family and friends,
We have just returned from our first home visits to the shanties in La Liberated just outside the Guatemala City Garbage Dump. Our day began with a visit to Only A Child, the shelter and carpentry shop begun by Boston native, George Leger, followed by a visit to the entrance to the Dump. There is no way I can adequately share details of this day with you. You would think that being a veteran on this trip, I could process it a lot faster than it seems to be happening. In fact, I think it is getting harder.

When I first arrived in Guatemala 14 years ago, everything was new; it was exciting; it was shocking. I am embarrassed to say it was even revolting on many levels. I still love being here; it is still exciting, but I am no longer shocked or revolted, and that concerns me. I suppose it is good that I am no longer thrown  by the level of poverty and despair that pervades much of Guatemala. I wondered if I had become desensitized by all that I had seen, but instead, I think I have accepted it. I know that may sounded twisted, but one of the many lessons I have learned during my time here is that not all problems can be fixed, and that beneath those first shocking impressions is so much more. From time to time, Kevin and Ginny, the long term American missionaries/administrators of Groundwork in Guatemala,  point out that Americans want to fix impossible problems and upon occasion, in the process even create others. Trust me, there are some whopping' problems here, and yes, I know there are some whoppin' problems at home, too. However, Only A Child and Groundwork solve problems by establishing relationships and sharing the good news of Jesus and his resurrection with folks with struggles, in most ways, far beyond ours. Today, we talked with George about his call to provide a home for boys living on the streets, as well as his desire to  provide them with the opportunity to pursue an education, develop a work ethic, and grow a faith that would ultimately lead them to be Godly young men and fathers. We talked and laughed with the boys and watched Ryan, Dylan, and Adam try to glean as much info about the World Cup as they could get from former street kids who love soccer as much as they do. We listened to Marvin, a long-term resident of the program, joyfully translate for his fellow residents after years of keeping a quiet, almost somber presence in that ministry. It was exhilarating to see the profound good that flows from those who invest their lives into a call to serve.

We talked at length about the dump and the many folks who make a living recycling anything they can find in the filth. We reviewed the relative recent history of Guatemala and the aftermath of Guatemala's civil war; the shanty towns outside the dump are a part of that aftermath as native peoples were driven from their land in the countryside to become squatters on a former dump site. And we met, talked, and prayed with families who live and survive with faith intact in these areas. It was a privilege.

The sights and the sounds in these areas is unlike anything you might find in the U.S. Between the corruption, power struggles, violence, and an exploding urban population, we saw the human toll up close and personal. It was a breath-taking day of learning and service. We were exposed to sights, sounds, and smells that were previously  unfamiliar, and we are left to process it while preparing for the next, new day's experiences. Almost everyone here seems to get the one way out is Jesus. It is a lesson not as readily embraced in the North.

Most of all, I want you to know that we are thinking. We are being changed by this experience and what we may be doing for others, pales in comparison to what they are doing for us. We are doing our best, but we want our best to be better. Does that make sense? Tomorrow we head to El Rincon to teach our lessons and attempt to be "courageous." I wish I could tell you more; it is just too much to express tonight.

I have to end with one quick story. Mona's name in Spanish translates to "monkey." Introducing herself as "monkey" was not really working, so I thought it might be cool to call her Mona Lisa because her middle name is Lisa. Turns out that was even worse. The Guatemalans actually blushed when I suggested it, so our friend, formerly known as Mona, is now affectionally known as Lisa. Good stuff!

Again, thank you for your interest. We sense your presence with us.

Blessings,
Lexi, Megan, Marisa, Adam, Alaina, Ryan, Mona, Dylan, Lauren, and Sally

P.S. As you can tell, we are photo challenged. Our flash drive disappeared in transit, so for the time being, please go to the Groundwork Guatemala Facebook page for pics.

2 comments:

  1. Too much to process is right about Monday. 6 trips later and I every time am overwhelmed by it all. Praying that the lesson you developed will open the eyes and ears of the kids, teens, and adults, and will be successful. Give the Guatemalans a big hug for me! I look forward to reading daily about the humbling week you all have in my favorite place. Much love, Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us. I am so happy to hear that George is still able to carryout his work in Christ. Praying for you all to have a blessed day--may the Lord give you all the confidence and assurance to be "all in" as you lead worship. In 1 Chronicles 28:20 David gave advice to his son Solomon facing an undertaking that seemed larger than himself. "Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord God, my God, is with you." Our prayers and thoughts are with you all and the Guatemalans. Arlene Hallberg

    ReplyDelete