Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Day Five: Buena Vista, Xaya, Coconuts, Volcanoes, and Filipenses 4: 6-7

Today we spent the day in Buena Vista and Xaya (Shy-ya). I suspect there has only been a small number of Americans that have been to either location, and I also suspect they have all been with Groundwork.  Right now (or at least when I was writing this in my journal in the van) I am looking at Fuego with a plume of smoke coming from the top and Aqua to its right. Everywhere I look I can see volcanoes, rubber trees, sugar cane and corn.  Beinvenidos a Guatemala.

There are no words for our experiences today. For that reason the blog will be predominately photos.
The view on the way to Buena Vista
The reception committee in Buena Vista
Children in Guatemala travel tied around their mothers.
School in Xaya
Main Street Buena Vista
The coconuts were harvested and then cut open with a machete. We were trying to drink the coconut milk without touching the edge that had been cut by the machete.  I know, dumb!

Buena Vista
The teen lesson with Jim, Gordy, Hannah, and Savannah
The children's lesson.  In Buena Vista there were about 140 children.
We gave the children each a pair of glasses to help them SEE God when they are worried.
Our annual team picture at "the tree" in Buena Vista
with the Guatemalan missionaries.  They are extraordinary folks.

5 comments:

  1. Your pics are great. Praying for you. Is Meredith ok? I didn't see her in the team picture....or the other workday pics. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pic of the kids with the glasses!!! My sister told me about that lesson. They look so precious. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures and updates make my day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. God Bless each of you. Your travels & mission look amazing! There is so much love & joy in these photos your sharing each day!

    ReplyDelete